|Directors should have separate and independent access to the company secretary. The role of the company secretary should be clearly defined and should include responsibility for ensuring that Board procedures are followed and that applicable rules and regulations are complied with. Under the direction of the Chairman, the company secretary's responsibilities include ensuring good information flows within the board and its board committees and between Management and non-executive directors, advising the Board on all governance matters, as well as facilitating orientation and assisting with professional development as required. The company secretary should attend all board meetings.|
This Guideline describes the role and duties of the company secretary.
The company secretary is a key position in the company from the Board’s standpoint; he provides the main corporate legal and administrative support for the Board. This Guideline emphasises this by making clear that the directors should have separate and independent access to the company secretary without hindrance from management or any other parties.
The Companies Act (CA) requires every company to appoint at least one qualified company secretary. It does not, however, fully set out his role, duties and responsibilities. It is thus important that the company clearly do so.
This Guideline seeks to provide some guidance on what the company secretary should do, which include:
- Ensuring compliance with the rules and regulations, as well as Board procedures.
- Advising the Board on all corporate governance matters.
- Ensuring that there is good information flow to the directors (flow within the Board and Board Committees, and between management and Non-Executive Directors (NEDs))
- Arranging and facilitating the training and professional development of directors, existing and new.
- Working under the direction of the Chairman, and attending all meetings.
B. SGX Disclosure Guide
C. Related Rules and Regulations
- Section 171(1) of the Companies Act: Secretary.
D. CG Guides
- Board Guide 6.3: The Company Secretary [Board Relationships].
E. Related Articles